Search This Blog!

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Visual Symbols

For this project we were told to pick symbols to represent though a clay sculpture and figurative busts.  My symbols for the first project was he symbol representing ignorance. My bust had no eyes for ignorance is blind. He also has  Nazi symbol carved in the back of his head. For my second sculpture I created a mouth with missing teeth. I always have this reoccurring dream that all of my teeth fall out of my head, or are rotting. upon further research this dream happens to other people and often means an important life change will happen or general loss in your life. 

Ignorance will Blind You
4x7
Clay, Ink 

Rot
7x6
Ink, Clay, Wire

In my art I like to create a sense of unsettling and a minimal amount of ease. I want the viewer to feel something other than what is comfortable to them and I can create that with texture and color and shape. With my two projects I was able to take two symbols and present them in a way that might create an opposing view for a possible viewer. I felt that my work, however, was lacking other colors or a dimension that I initially wanted to create. I was unable to accomplish that goal. 

(In Process) 

Inspiration 

1. Lee Griggs https://leegriggs.com/clay-shader 

2. Redbubble (wall art. When I went to go back to find the artist, the piece sold and I no longer have the artist name)  https://www.redbubble.com/shop/rotten+teeth+prints 

3. KalesCreepyCreations  https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1095340194/monster-mouth-sculpture






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lightner Visit

 Visiting the Lightner Museum!